A632.3.4.RB - Reflections on Decision Making_SharpMelissa


One year ago, I learned about the elimination of a volunteer-based program in my community; I had been a part of this program for approximately 4 years. Not only was I a participant, I was a part of the leadership team. About a year before the elimination announcement, we (leaders) knew that changes needed to be made; we just didn’t know what needed to change. As far as I know, none of us thought about eliminating the program; complete program-restructure was not in my mind. As I reflect on this experience, I will share examples of my framing traps.

Citing Shoemaker and Russo, Hoch, et al., (2001) stated that too often, we look out at the world through one mental window and we fail to notice the views from other windows (p.139). When our mental window is locked-in to one view, we are experiencing frame blindness (Hoch, et al.,2001, p.139). As I process the news of imminent change, I could only see through one mental window. While I knew the program needed help, I never entertained the idea of elimination. Even after I learned of the program changes, it was hard for me to leave my frame blindness; I was frustrated and a little closed off to the changes.

I had a difficult time accepting the changes because I also had an illusion of completeness (Hoch, et al., 2001, p.140). Citing Shoemaker and Russo, Hoch, et al., (2001), said that many trust in a false sense of completeness that their frame provides; because of a false sense of completeness, people do not understand that they are functioning from a particular frame and that their frame is incomplete (p.140). When I was processing the news of our program’s elimination, it was hard for me to accept the other part of our leader’s news. Although the program was going away, a new program would take its place. The new program would save time, generate more participants, and streamline communication within the organization. Although I didn’t accept the changes right away, I eventually embraced the changes.

The tendency to overestimate what we know is known as overconfidence (Hoch, et al., 2001, p.140). While processing the program changes, I overvalued the significance of my own frame (Hoch, et al., 2001, p.140). I think I overestimated the value of my frame because my frame is all I know. I have my experiences, thoughts, beliefs and point-of-view; all these things shape the way I see the world. As a result, I was comfortable with my frame. However, just because I am comfortable with my worldview doesn’t mean it should stay the same. Considering what I know of framing traps, I think I handled each situation as expected. I was pleased with my intellectual and emotional response; however, I do think that I need to be aware of framing traps the next time I experience a similar situation.

This framing-traps exercise taught me to look out a little more. It’s easy to see the world through my own experiences. Yet, in looking out, I can see others’ perspectives and understand others’ frames. When I seek to understand others’ frames, I consider what matters to them; I consider their passions; I listen for their filtered messages, and I reflect on my natural considerations in comparison to theirs (Hoch, et al., 2001, p.142). I think these reflective questions would have helped me process the news of the program changes and the reasons why changes were made. If I am not willing to escape frame trappings, I risk consistent frame blindness; since I am a fan of vision, I hope to implement a frame audit in future circumstances (Hoch, et al., 2001, p.142).


Hoch, S., Kunreuther, H., & Gunther, R. E. (2001). Wharton on Making Decisions (1st ed.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons Inc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A632.5.4.RB - How Protected are Your Protected Values?_SharpMelissa

A632.7.3.RB - Collaborative Decision Making-SharpMelissa