A632.5.4.RB - How Protected are Your Protected Values?_SharpMelissa
Values that are considered absolute and inviolable are
called protected values (PVs) (Hoch, et al., 2001, p.251). Protected values should be protected
from trade-offs, as they are unbending beliefs (Hoch, et al., 2001, p.251). I
am certain that I have several PVs, but for the purpose of this
assignment, I will focus on three of my PVs and the beliefs that accompany
them.
First, I am an advocate for children, no matter the cost
or sacrifice. This means that I will speak on their behalf; I will fight
against child abuse, and I am a Pro-Life supporter. Most would support the first two beliefs within my PVs; however, as a Pro-Life advocate, I experience
pushback. While I am not the person picketing in front of abortion clinics, I make
political decisions in defense of children, first. Admittedly, this not an easy
decision for me. I value many of the beliefs within the Democratic party and as
black woman in America, the expectation is that my vote should be Democratic.
However, when I took on the self-proclaimed role of child advocate, my role includes the unborn who cannot speak for themselves. My challenge is not belief-compromise, my challenge is the reconciliation of conservative and liberal beliefs. Honestly,
sometimes I feel like I am in the middle; it seems that the Democratic party is in
great support of human rights, except the rights of unborn children. The pro to
my stance is that I can sleep at night knowing that I am advocating for those
who do not have a voice; the con is that the Party whom supports my PVs, is lacking in
other important areas. So, in this case, my trade-off is choosing a candidate
whose attitude I dislike, but whose policies I value.
Next, I value racial justice and unity. Some of the beliefs
associated with these PVs are fair treatment of minorities, employment
opportunities for all, and unity. Although I wasn’t alive to experience segregation,
I do know that our country has come a long way. While we have come a long way,
there is still work. As black woman in the USA, I sometimes experience racism, but
I haven’t been afraid in those instances. I experienced fear the summer of 2016.
2016 was a big year for visual access to police brutality. I know that there were
many cases of police brutality before 2016; however, seeing the actions of the
officers on social media, really impacted me. I felt confused and displaced; I
feared for my father, brothers, and nephews; I was angry, and I felt alone. I
didn’t know how to reconcile my worlds: a world where some of my closest
relationships are with Caucasian people, a world where I respect police
officers and trust that they will help me when I’m in need, a world where everyone
is not a racist. My PVs were at war within
me. My friends and I were hurting; some of my friends wanted to blame all
police officers; some friends wanted to blame “white” people; some of my
friends defended the police officers, period, and other friends wanted to
forget about all of it. It’s hard for me to come up with a pro/con list for these
beliefs because I don’t see that there are cons when seeking unity. Perhaps my
trade-off is listening to those I do not agree. Sometimes it’s hard for me to
fully listen to others when I wholly disagree with them; however, in listening,
I may gain perspective that I wouldn’t have otherwise gained.
Finally, I value my Faith. I am a Christian and within
the Christian faith, there are many things I believe, but I will only focus on
a few of my beliefs. I believe in
living a life of integrity; I believe in treating others well, and I believe in
God’s guidance through the decision-making process. Merriam-Webster (2019)
defines integrity as an unimpaired condition; integrity is the firm adherence
to a code of moral or artistic values and the state of being undivided (Integrity).
Disclaimer: I value integrity; however, my actions are not always reflective of Webster's definition. Considering all the
deception and self-protection that surrounds us, integrity seems quite countercultural.
Still, I value integrity. I enjoy making good choices whether others are watching
me or not. So many employees’ work is dependent on a supervisor’s observation;
their reasons for working are limited to someone else’s attention. Integrity maintains
honesty in all situations, even unpopular situations. I am not saying that I
always honor this value; however, I seek to live in integrity, daily. Choosing
integrity over dishonor is not always easy; sometimes it’s easier to go with
the flow, especially in group settings. For example, one colleague may say, “just
take it, no one will know the difference"…but I will know. In situations
as such, the con is exclusion by others or someone talking about me. While I
don’t like being talked about and I want to get along with others, the cons
are not strong enough to push me away from the pursuit of integrity. In addition to
integrity, I value treating others well. I try to treat all people the same, no
matter their status. This is challenging when I’m in the presence of status-focused individuals; still, I desire to treat them well also. Treating others well does
not mean that I don’t get angry; it simply means that I try not to let anger
drive my actions. The con for this belief is that I sometimes holdback when I should express my anger; the pro is that I give myself time before acting out
in anger.
Seeking God’s guidance through the decision-making process
is a PVs. I believe that God cares about my decisions and that He wants to help
me navigate through this world; therefore, I’m glad to ask for help and I accept
the guidance as it comes. The pro to this belief is the peace I have knowing
that I am not living life alone. Still, sometimes
I don’t want to follow God’s guidance when the decision seems beyond Him…perhaps
this is my con. According to Hoch, et al., (2001), our protected values should be
protected from trade-offs (p. 251); this is how I feel about my PVs. Because these
values are so protected, I cannot think of trade-off that is worth the trade.
Overall, I feel just as strongly about my PVs as I did
when the exercise began. While I am unwavering in what I believe, I am willing
to listen to and learn from others.
Hoch, S., Kunreuther, H., & Gunther, R. E. (2001).
Wharton on Making Decisions (1st ed.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley &
Sons Inc.
Integrity .
(2019, February 10). Retrieved from Merriam-Webster :
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/integrity
Comments
Post a Comment