A632.4.4.RB Deception in Negotiations_SharpMelissa
Negotiating can be challenging because everyone wants to win,
and some will decisive others so that they may win. Thus, deception in negotiating
is quite common. According to Hoch, et al., (2001), people lie in negations and
are usually more comfortable telling lies of omission; lies of omissions are
told when information is not revealed (p.189). For example, my friend told me about a car-buying
experience in which information about the condition of the car, was omitted. As
a result, my friend paid for a car that was in bad condition; he bought a
lemon. So, how do we avoid this kind of deception in negotiation? Hoch, et al.,
noted several ways for us to reduce vulnerability during negotiation; I will
share four of those ways.
First, we should ask direct questions (Hoch, et al., 2001,
p.197). When we ask direct questions, we will most likely receive honest
responses. I used to have a hard time asking direct questions as I didn’t want
my directness to come off as accusatory; however, I learned that I deserve
honest responses if I am going to make well-informed decisions.
Next, we should carefully listen when we are negotiating
(Hoch, et al., 2001, p. 197). It’s important for us to know that the person
speaking is a reliable source; we should also listen carefully so that we hear what’s
being said and what’s not being said (Hoch,
et al., 2001, p. 197). Negotiation expert, Alan McCarthy (2011), noted that we
should follow the 80/20 rule; the 80/20 rule says that 80% of negotiation
should come from our eyes and ears (seeing and hearing) and 20% from the words
that we speak (Negotiation Skills Top 10 Tips). Additionally, if we speak less,
we won’t leak pertinent information and we will have room to maneuver
(McCarthy, 2011, Negotiation Skills Top 10 Tips).
When negotiating, we not only want to focus on a person’s verbal
cues; we also want to pay attention to non-verbal cues (Hoch, et al., 2001,
p.197). Nonverbal cues to note include increased blinking, nervous habits,
increased sweating, facial expressions, dilated pupils, etc. (Hoch, et al., 2001,
p.195). We want to pay attention to
these actions because when lying, people often project the physical reactions
listed above.
Finally, to reduce vulnerability during negotiation, we
should keep records and get everything in writing (Hoch, et al., 2001, p.197). Of
all the vulnerability-reduction tools, this tool is usually my go-to. It’s hard
to debate with words that are in writing. Anyone can “give me their word” (verbally
only) and forget when it’s time to make decisions. Therefore, when I am
negotiating, I like to have our exchange in writing. I don’t want to assume that someone would intentionally
lie to me; however, some people do intentionally lie. So, to protect myself, I
hold those I am negotiating, accountable,
with our written communication.
Negotiation – I Was Mislead
I was recently in the market for a computer and decided
to check on Facebook Marketplace; one of my technologically-advanced friends suggested
that I check it out, so I began my search. I saw a computer that I wanted and
contacted the seller. I asked for a lower rate than his asking price and he told
me that he could not go lower and that he was holding the computer for someone else.
However, the computer was still listed on the site; although I have no way of
proving it, I don’t think there was another buyer; I just don’t think the
seller liked my offer.
My Overstatements
I think I sometimes overstate when I am trying to get students
to keep taking classes. For example, students must take a class within one year
to remain active. Students who reach the one-year mark without taking a class, must
reapply and are placed in a new catalog (this means potential credit-loss). Therefore,
when I reach out, I move the deadlines up so that they don’t miss the deadline
and/or push registration to the last minute. Sometimes my tactics work and
students make deadlines because they register before their official deadline; other times, my plan doesn’t work,
and students still have to reapply.
McCarthy, A. (2011, January 7). Negotiation Skills
Top 10 Tips. Retrieved from YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy0MD2nsZVs&feature=youtu.be
Hoch, S., Kunreuther, H., & Gunther, R. E. (2001).
Wharton on Making Decisions (1st ed.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley &
Sons Inc.
Comments
Post a Comment