A632.8.3.RB - Reflections on the Cynefin Framework_SharpMelissa

As I reflect on the different quadrants within the Cynefin Framework, I think that I find my daily decisions within the Simple Context. I constantly make decisions at work, and most of those decisions are simple; there are clear “known knowns” and decisions are unquestioned because my colleagues and I have a shared understanding (Snowden & Boones, 2007, para. 7). Our decisions are guided by outlined policies and procedures; our policies and procedures keep us on the same page. When we are in doubt about a work-related policy, we reference several forms for guidance (policy manuals, training guides, curriculum standards guide, etc.). Therefore, my work-life decision-making is typically simple because actions are straight-forward and there are clear cause-and-effect relationships that are easily discernable by everyone (Snowden & Boone, 2007, para.7). In saying that daily work-related situations are simple, I am saying that finding a solution is simple, even if there are complexities within the problem. An example of a simple context problem is a student whose transcript is missing from his Admissions packet. A missing transcript can delay a student’s acceptance to the University, thus, a missing transcript is a problem. However, the solution is knowable. I know who to contact about the transcript and know how to guide the student in the next steps.

There are some work-related issues that are not as simple. When issues are beyond what I understand, my decision-making comes from a more complex place. In the Complex Context, it’s difficult to find the right answer; it’s the land of the “unknown unknowns” (Snowden & Boone, 2007, para. 22). We are currently experiencing the complex context quadrant at a few of our Worldwide campuses; student enrollments are down, and no one knows why. In addition to communicating enrollment-decline to all of the Worldwide campuses, campuses with greater enrollment-loss, are meeting with decision-makers to find a solution. Campus staff and decision-makers are trying to understand why student enrollments have decreased; they are also searching for a solution to increase enrollments again. Unfortunately, we may not understand why enrollments have dropped until grave decision have already been made (Snowden &Boone, 2007, para.23). Since we are in the middle of the complexity, the only decision that has been made is to continue moving forward and increase student-outreach.

5 Ways the Cynefin Framework Can Provide an Improved Context for Decision-Making
1.       In the Simple Context quadrant, I can easily act because after sensing, I can categorize and follow-through (Snowden & Boone, 2007, para. 8); I am also able to working-through the decision-making process with minimal support.
2.       I have to be mindful “analysis paralysis”, where I hit a wall because of over analyzing or limited thinking (Snowden &Boone, 2007, para. 18); this problem can occur within the Complicated Context.
3.       The Complex quadrant can help me with decision-making because it can challenge me to frequently experiment and encourage me to test problem-solving approaches. This quadrant can also help me step back and allow patterns to naturally emerge (Snowden & Boone, 2007, para.26).
4.       In the Chaotic Context, I don’t have to worry about gaining crisis-management skills, I need to impel innovation (Snowden & Boone, 2007, para. 30-31).   
5.       The Cynefin Framework can help me make decisions because it provides me with guidance when I am called to act against my instincts (Snowden & Boone, 2007, para.35).


Snowden, D. J., & Boone, M. E. (n.d.). A Leader’s Framework for Decision Making. Retrieved from Harvard Business Review : https://hbr.org/2007/11/a-leaders-framework-for-decision-making

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A632.5.4.RB - How Protected are Your Protected Values?_SharpMelissa

A632.3.4.RB - Reflections on Decision Making_SharpMelissa

A632.7.3.RB - Collaborative Decision Making-SharpMelissa