A632.9.3.RB - Role of Emotion in Decision Making_SharpMelissa
As I think about the most recent decisions I have made, I clearly
see how emotions played a role in my decisions. The first is a situation in
which I was extremely confident of the outcome and my attitude towards the subject.
I have used this example a few times in this course, because it is one of the
biggest adult decisions that I’ve ever made: a decision to buy a house. Though
an exciting commitment, I knew the commitment to buy a house, was a big deal. I
did not go into this process lightly. Before taking the more intricate steps, I
talked with a friend who referred a realtor; it helped that I knew the realtor,
thus, adding ease to my decision-making. I was passionate about this decision
and as Professor Shiv (2011) noted, passion is very persuasive (Brian Research
at Stanford: Decision Making). With passion and logic leading my decision, I
was confident. Although I had never purchased property, I was confident about
the outcome. My confidence in the outcome did not drive away the fear of doing
something new, but I was definitely confident in my decision.
Unfortunately, not all decisions are filled with decision-confidence
and outcome-confidence. For example,
when I decided to tell my best friend that I had more-than-friend feelings, I wasn’t confident in doing it (it just
needed to be done); additionally, I was not confident about the outcome. I hoped
for excitement as he learned of my feelings. While I deeply hoped for his exhilaration,
I knew that was not going be the outcome, because I knew my audience. Instead
of hearing about mutual feelings and seeing wild excitement in his eyes, I heard
phrases like, “you’re my best friend”;
“you’re like a sister”; “I’m flattered”; “thank you”, and of course, “I
don’t know what to say”. After hearing these classic I-don’t-like-you- that-way-but-don’t-want-to-hurt-you phrases, I wanted
to burn every last one of them; no one wants to hear those cordial expressions
after vulnerably sharing feelings! In making the decision to tell my friend how
I felt, I believe I was driven by passion and honesty. I was driven by passion
because my feelings were strong, and I wanted to communicate them to him; I was
driven by honesty because I felt as though keeping my feelings to myself, was
deceptive. Overall, I know that emotions played an important role in my
decision-making process; without the emotions, I don’t know if I would have had
the courage to share my feelings (Hoch et al., 2001, p. 269).
Hoch, S., Kunreuther, H., & Gunther, R. E. (2001).
Wharton on Making Decisions (1st ed.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley &
Sons Inc.
Shiv, B. (2011, November 07). Brain Research at
Stanford: Decision Making. Retrieved from YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRKfl4owWKc&feature=youtu.be
Comments
Post a Comment